The Seay Firm is a boutique entertainment law firm located at the Goat Farm Arts Center. We are artist advocates, dedicated to advising and protecting all manner of artists and arts-related businesses. Below are some of our featured speaking engagements and publications.
Featured Speaking Engagements
- SXSW Music Festival (2017)
- Americana Fest (2016)
- AJC Decatur Book Fest (2016)
- SXSW Music Festival (2016)
- UGA Music Business Program (2016)
- Athens Area Arts Council (2016)
- UGA Music & Technology Conference (2015)
Other Speaking Engagements
- Interviewed on Business Radio X (2014); listen here:
- Protect Athens Music Conference (2013); an article quoting John and discussing the conference can be read here: Flagpole Magazine Protect Athens Music Conference.
- John has conducted free legal clinics on entertainment law for artists at Protect Athens Music Conference, the Georgia Music Industry Association, the Goat Farm Arts Center, and Secret Stages
- Why Pandora Wants to Pay Less and What it Means for Licensing Reform, Copyright, St. B. Ga. Ent. & Sports L. Sec. Newsl., Atlanta, GA) (2013)
- You Look Complicated Today: Representing an Illegal Graffiti Artist in a Copyright Infringement Case, 20 J. Intell. Prop. L. (2012)
- Jobs Act | Flagpole Magazine
- WELD Crowd-Funding Article
- Legislative Strategies for Enabling the Success of Online Music Purveyors, 17 UCLA Ent. L. Rev. 163 (2010); this article, in a different form, also placed in the 2009 GRAMMY Foundation Entertainment Law Initiative Writing Competition
- Hang ‘Em High: Will the Recording Industry Association of America’s New Plan to Posse Up With Internet Service Providers in the Fight Against Online Music Piracy Finally Tame the Wild Internet?, 16 J. Intell. Prop. L. 269 (2009)
- On April 16, 2013, John filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a client alleging copyright violations against a prominent rapper and his record label and related companies. Smith v. Jenkins, et al., 1:2013-cv-1235.
- On November 30, 2012, John filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of a client alleging copyright and trademark violations against a major country music star. Landas v. Brown, et al., 1:2012-cv-04157.
- John represented an artist in a copyright infringement dispute against an international retailer. The story was covered in the Atlanta-Journal Constitution, CBS 11 Alive, and extensively online. Read the story from the Fulton County Daily Report: Creative copyright deal benefits pooch
- The Fulton County Daily Report featured John’s work with the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation: Disabled Man’s Case Gritty, Ongoing
The Seay Firm is located at the Goat Farm Arts Center, 1200 Foster Street NW, LMR-17, Atlanta, GA 30318, but our mailing address is 541 10th Street NW, Suite 303, Atlanta, GA 30318. Call (404) 913-4232 or contact us to schedule an appointment.