John E. Seay, Esq.
The Seay Firm is a boutique entertainment law and intellectual property law firm located in Midtown Atlanta. We are artist advocates, dedicated to advising and protecting all manner of artists and arts-related businesses. Our founder, John Seay, is a musician, music journalist, and former tour manager. John is formerly Of Counsel in the entertainment practice group in the Nashville office of Loeb & Loeb, one of the largest and most comprehensive such practice groups in the world. Before founding The Seay Firm, John worked for Turner Broadcasting. He has spoken about entertainment law at SXSW, the Americana Festival, and the AJC Decatur Book Festival, and has published extensively in the field as well. John lives in Decatur with his wife and two daughters.
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star in Entertainment Law (2016 – 2020)
- Awarded to 2.5% of attorneys in Georgia
- Legal Elite in Entertainment Law by Georgia Trend Magazine (2016, 2018)
- Awarded to 13 attorneys in Georgia
- AVVO-rated 10.0 “Superb” Top Attorney in Entertainment Law
Professional & Community Activities
- State Bar of Georgia Entertainment & Sports Law Section, Section Chair
- #weloveatl, Board of Directors
- Member: Recording Academy, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, and Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D. (2010)
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.A. (2003)
- Rolling Stone – Can Taylor Swift Really Be Banned From Playing Her Old Albums?
- Rolling Stone – What the Messy Legal Battle Over Lil’ Peep’s Death Reveals
- CNN – ‘Joker’ uses a song by convicted pedophile Gary Glitter. He’s probably making money off it
- Bloomberg – Why Can’t Taylor Swift Perform Her Own Songs? It’s Complicated.
- Quartz – A Bulgarian scheme scammed Spotify for $1 million – without breaking a single law
- Why Pandora Wants to Pay Less and What it Means for Licensing Reform, Copyright, St. B. Ga. Ent. & Sports L. Sec. Newsl.) (2013)
- You Look Complicated Today: Representing an Illegal Graffiti Artist in a Copyright Infringement Case, 20 J. Intell. Prop. L. (2012)
- Legislative Strategies for Enabling the Success of Online Music Purveyors, 17 UCLA Ent. L. Rev. 163 (2010)
- Hang ‘Em High: Will the Recording Industry Association of America’s New Plan to Posse Up With Internet Service Providers in the Fight Against Online Music Piracy Finally Tame the Wild Internet?, 16 J. Intell. Prop. L. 269 (2009)
Jared Hall, Esq.
Jared Hall is Of Counsel at the Seay Firm. Prior to working at the Seay Firm, Jared held positions at iHeart Media, Cumulus Media, King & Spalding, and Head, Thomas, Webb & Willis. Jared is a member of the Entertainment & Sports Law section of the Georgia Bar Association and provides pro bono legal assistance to indigent artists through Georgia Lawyers for the Arts.
Jared received his B.A. in Radio & Television from Southern Illinois University. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Louisville where he focused on Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property.
He lives in East Atlanta Village with his wife, Rachel, and their black lab, Sweet Lou.
Firm Manager Haley Carlson is a dedicated arts leader, advocate, and enthusiast, with a passion to advance opportunities for creatives in Metro Atlanta and beyond. She has worked at large and small arts institutions alike, such as Dia: Beacon, Southern Highland Craft Guild, BluBus Screen Printing, and the City of Atlanta Mayor’s Office of Cultural Affairs. She received her master’s in Arts Leadership & Cultural Management from the LEAP Institute for the Arts at Colorado State University in 2017. Haley serves on the board of S.T.A.M.P. (Sustainable Touring for Artists, Musicians, and Performers) and is the co-founder of the Dream Warriors Foundation.
Our office is located at 750 Piedmont Ave. NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 — Piedmont Ave. is a one-way street. Drive north on Piedmont Ave. and take a left turn onto 4th Ave. (also a one-way street) and then take the first right turn, about halfway up the block, into an alley street. Take the very first right into a gravel parking lot, park anywhere, and then call the office at (404) 913-4232. Someone will come and grab you from the lot. Alternatively, if there is a parallel space on Piedmont Ave., then feel free to take it, and then call the office.
Call (404) 913-4232 or contact us to schedule an appointment.