John E. Seay, Esq.
The Seay Firm is a boutique entertainment law and intellectual property law firm located in Midtown Atlanta. We are artist advocates, dedicated to advising and protecting all manner of artists and arts-related businesses. Our founder, John Seay, is a musician, music journalist, former tour manager. John is formerly Of Counsel in the entertainment practice group in the Nashville office of Loeb & Loeb, one of the largest and most comprehensive such practice groups in the world. Before founding The Seay Firm, John worked for Turner Broadcasting. He has spoken about entertainment law at SXSW, the Americana Festival, and the AJC Decatur Book Festival, and has published extensively in the field as well. John lives in Decatur with his wife and two daughters.
- Georgia Super Lawyers Rising Star in Entertainment Law (2016 – 2019)
- Awarded to 2.5% of attorneys in Georgia
- Legal Elite in Entertainment Law by Georgia Trend Magazine (2016, 2018)
- Awarded to 13 attorneys in Georgia
- AVVO-rated 10.0 “Superb” Top Attorney in Entertainment Law
Professional & Community Activities
- State Bar of Georgia Entertainment & Sports Law Section, Section Chair
- #weloveatl, Board of Directors
- Member: Recording Academy, National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, and Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D. (2010)
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.A. (2003)
- Rolling Stone – Can Taylor Swift Really Be Banned From Playing Her Old Albums?
- Rolling Stone – What the Messy Legal Battle Over Lil’ Peep’s Death Reveals
- CNN – ‘Joker’ uses a song by convicted pedophile Gary Glitter. He’s probably making money off it
- Bloomberg – Why Can’t Taylor Swift Perform Her Own Songs? It’s Complicated.
- Quartz – A Bulgarian scheme scammed Spotify for $1 million – without breaking a single law
- Why Pandora Wants to Pay Less and What it Means for Licensing Reform, Copyright, St. B. Ga. Ent. & Sports L. Sec. Newsl.) (2013)
- You Look Complicated Today: Representing an Illegal Graffiti Artist in a Copyright Infringement Case, 20 J. Intell. Prop. L. (2012)
- Legislative Strategies for Enabling the Success of Online Music Purveyors, 17 UCLA Ent. L. Rev. 163 (2010)
- Hang ‘Em High: Will the Recording Industry Association of America’s New Plan to Posse Up With Internet Service Providers in the Fight Against Online Music Piracy Finally Tame the Wild Internet?, 16 J. Intell. Prop. L. 269 (2009)
The Seay Firm is located at 750 Piedmont Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30308, but our mailing address is 541 10th Street NW, Suite 303, Atlanta, GA 30318. Call (404) 913-4232 or contact us to schedule an appointment.